Task 1: Before Listening, look at the picture on page 27, read the True/False questions, then try to
answer the following questions.
1. What happened to the mule?
2. Did the farmer help the mule?
3. Was the farmer or the mule in a very difficult situation?
4. Did the people help the farmer or the mule?
5. Did the mule die at the end?
Task 2: Compare your answer with other groups, and summarize the whole story.
Task 3: Answer True/False questions on page 27, then listen to the story to check your answers.
Task 4: Listen again and complete the following sentences with the given words.
misery, overcome, sympathized, triumphantly, dirt, exhausted
1. The farmer ____________ with the mule but he decided was not worth saving.
2. The farmer wanted to bury the mule in the well and put it out of his____________.
3. Every time a shovel load of _____________ landed on his back, the mule could shake it off
and step up.
4. The old mule fought to __________ his panic and kept on shaking off the dirt and stepping
5. It wasn’t long before the old mule, battered and ____________, stepped ____________outof the well.
Task 5: Work in group of 4-5, collect well-known saying or proverb, in Thai or English, that we use to encourage or give advice to people in a very difficult situation.