Survival in the Jungle
Task 1: Pre-reading activity
Work in pair, predict some of the details in the story. Write T or F in front of each statement.
_________ 1. The story you are going to read is a true story.
_________ 2. It is a story about Juliane, a boy at about 17 years old.
_________ 3. The story took place in the jungle in South America.
_________ 4. Juliane was the lone survivor from the plane crash.
_________ 5. Juliane was found by a rescue team 10 days after the accident.
Task 2: While-reading activity
Read the story and answer the questions below.
- Why did Juliane fly to Pucallpa?
- What does Juliane’s father do?
- Why did the plane crash?
- What happened to Juliane when the plane crashed?
- Why didn’t Juliane make it to her destination?
- Where did Juliane find herself when she came to after the crash?
- What injuries had she suffered?
- What did Juliane do after she found the plane?
- How did her father’s advice help her come through the ordeal?
- What difficulties did she have to deal with?
- Why did she use a walking stick?
- Why didn’t the planes help Juliane?
- Why did Juliane drink water only?
- Who found Juliane and how did they help her?
- How did she go to Pucallpa?
What did she do after she went back to Germany?